The main activity will be our Tourney of Daffodils, it is in honor of Spring and the St. Catherine. We would like to stress that this Tourney will be ideal for fighters of all levels as well as members of Chivalry.
This year the format is different then past at the request of those who attend in years before.
10 Deaths Elimination Tourney, as numbers decrease it will change:
- (last 10-8 fighters) to barrier tourney (doubles to singles)
- the last two standing with lives left will determine the winner viva the barrier or as they choose to dwindle their lives down.
We also plan a group melee tourney (triad teams) if numbers permit and for the fun of those that miss the start of the tourney.
Armor inspections will start at 9:00am, authorizations will be done as needed before the start of the tourney. If you are interested in helping marshaling this tourney please contact Event Stewart.
To the populace of the SCA in our regional zip codes,
To those of you who are current members as when we pulled the addresses from the HQ database, you will get a poll form. It will contain a stamped envelope and a form. Please feel free to voice how you wish to for the status of our Shire. Be it “Incipient” (not full status) or Full Status as per the eyes of the SCA, it is important that you vote… If we are full status we can start holding our own funds and operations in the SCA. It would be really nice!!!
Please vote and mail back the form,
-Marx Grob von Appenzell
Seneschal Elect – Shire of Midland Vale
To the populous of our Shire of Midland Vale;
We are sending the poll out this week. Please keep your eyes open. They are getting mailed to the address that we have on record at SCA HQ. It’s important that you fill out the poll and send it back ASAP.
Due to a scheduling conflict the Business meeting scheduled on June 17, 2015 has been moved to June 24, 2015. The calendar has been updated and reflected for the change.
The Tourney of the Daffodils on April 25, 2015 was a huge success. Our first event had over 100 members/visitors and a dozen fighters show up and participate in the activities. Also, our shire has been mentioned in a local newspaper. The article was posted by Barbara Bendell of the Time Herald Record with the title of Barbara Bedell: Medieval festival could return in 2016. It is a short read, but it shows how our shire is getting noticed.
Name & Device has passed East kingdom and has moved to the college. The group has elected to change part of the name form Midland Vales to Midland Vale, since the heralds could find record to a Midland Vale but not Vales.
We lost two members to neighboring groups due to change s in there job locatoins. One moved into Rusted Woodlands care and the other Northern Pass.
We have our event planned for April 25th, will be a Royal attended event. Had some issues wihth Fighting Marshals but Tanaka and Sir Gui have volunteered to assist me (now Marshal in training) and our current Knight Marshal. We have worked with our sponsoring shire to get the permit for the site and the funding for the food. We are eager to have our event.
A few members of the shire have be polled for awards.
Generally our shire is growing active, more inactive members are speaking up and coming to meetings and our planned event.
I think we are looking strong to maintaining a solid Shire.
-Marx Grob von Appenzell
Three Sides to fight for:
Purple – Will of the East Kingdom, “The King has made it so, so it is”
Green – Will of your Kingdom or Shire, “Might is right”
Black – Will of your own Purse, “Keep it as it may, Just give me your valuables”
We plan to have a prize for the victors of each Tourney. Prize donations are welcome.
Individual Tourney 1: (Tourney of Daffodils)
- Each fighter of the list will receive two tokens, knights/master will receive three, king/queen will receive four.
- Each fighter will fight best three out of five bouts with each fighter of tourney.
- The two fighters can define any rules they wish for their bout. eg. Fight a particular form, specific number of “clean hits”, etc. Both fighters must agree to the terms. If not, normal tourney rules apply to the current forms they hold on the field.
- After the fighters have a victor, 3 wins. Winner is suggested to provide some kind of positive comment to their opponent. eg. Victor may have noticed an opening or a tell that they took advantage of and suggests a way to improve against that opening.
- Make each fight a positive experience for you and your opponent.
- After each bout, each fighter will announce their win to the list. We want to tally most victories for each fighter.
- After each fighter has fought all the other fighters, each fighter will vote via tokens on the tourney victor. They can give all tokens to one fighter or give each token to separate fighters. Your honor defines how you disperse your tokens.
- Examples of someone earning token: gave good advice to a fighter, the fighters simply had a lot of fun during the fight.
- After all the fighters have dispersed their tokens, they should count what they have received. Report total to list.
- Victor will have most tokens.
- Novice with most tokens will be also noted for prize.
Unit/Melee Tourney 1:
Each unit of 3 or 5 fighters (depending numbers that attend), will have a banner man. This person must carry the banner on Spear or Polearm. Opposite hand can have a sword. Each Units job is to remove the other units on the field. The style of combat is Roman bear-pit with teams instead of individuals. Last banner man standing is the victor, if last team does not have banner they can reclaim it at the end if they are the last team standing. Else banners can be captured, do not stretch your unit too thin.
*Short term alliances are recommended.
Melee Tourney 2;
Woods Battle (if time allows), Stags vs Hunters.
Stags = Two sword fighters (they are all part of one team, protect your flock)
Hunters = Teams of three fighters to make a unit.
Depending on the ratio of Stags verse Hunters, we will determine the number of hunter teams that can go into the woods at one time. This will be a non resurrection melee. The Last side standing wins.
All questions please contact:
Mark Grob Von Appenzell
grobm10 “<at>” gmail “<dot>” com
Looking for Marshals to help with fighting event. Please contact if interested and attending event.
Wednesday, August 20at 7:10pm – 9:00pm
Next Week · 88°F / 66°F Chance of a Thunderstorm
47 Academy Ave, Middletown, NY 10940
Monthly Business Meeting.
1- Date of Shire Event
2- Sites for Event
4- YOUTH COMBAT?? Don Wagenhals wants to know when we want the kids to play?
5- Officers status on Warrants?
6- Status of Device for Shire *been too quite”
7- Introductions to new members
8- Other items
Conference ID: 7968050
International Dial-In Number: (832) 445-3619